Re: [Taler] Balance and Transaction List UI

From: Torsten Grote
Subject: Re: [Taler] Balance and Transaction List UI
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2020 10:39:07 -0300

On 2020-04-13 06:35, belen barros pena wrote:
> Could you give me some more details about what kind of input would be
> expected from users? Is the transaction "stuck" until users provide the
> required input?

Christian and Florian know more about this than me.

If I look into the code, I find

* PendingProposalChoiceOperation
* PendingTipChoiceOperation

I think the first should not happen in practice as we try to resolve
this in the payment confirmation flow and cancel the payment when the
user backs out of it.

The second is for tips which are not yet supported by the wallet at all,
so we could ignore them for now. I also don't understand why we need
users to manually accept tips and can't receive them automatically.

> The fact that transactions can be displayed per currency and per
> exchange makes things even more complicated. I would keep things as
> simple as possible for now, and would stick to showing transactions per
> currency only. We can consider whether we need to show them per exchange
> later.

I agree. We probably also want to have an exchange management UI where
we could integrate the balances per exchange and not make the main UI
more complicated.

> Basic question: Can exchanges provide more than one currency?

Christian and Florian?

> I don't think we need an icon. Users know that items on a list are used
> for navigation: this is one of the most common design patterns in mobile
> apps. So when presented with a list of balances, they are likely to tap
> in one of them, if nothing else because that's what they are used to
> doing, and because there is not much else to do on the screen :)
>
> However, we could do little things like, for users with only one
> currency, going straight to the transaction history for that currency
> when opening the app rather than showing the list of balances.

I imagine that most users will only have one balance line and I am not
sure opening another page automatically works well here.
>     We could for example show a small summary of pending transactions below
>     the balance as well e.g. Balance: 5 EUR (+10 EUR incoming).
>
> My concern with this is that things could get very complicated very
> quickly. What if I have a pending withdrawal and a pending payment (can
> a payment be pending?) or several pending withdrawals? I would be
> inclined to show the actual balance at all times (i.e. the balance that
> I can use to transact, which would be the current balance minus any
> pending payments and without pending withdrawals), and display any
> pending transactions at the top of the history list.

I think the balance you can use to transact is the actual current
balance as withdrawals and pending payments have not yet been completed
and might also fail.

So if we only show the current balance, should we indicate the presence
of pending transactions differently from pending transactions that
require user input?

Btw. if we including pending transactions in the history list, I
wouldn't call it history anymore, but maybe "Transactions".

> I should probably put a mockup together so that you can actually see
> what I mean: I'll try to do that.

Thanks, that helps. Looks very nice! What happened to your hand-drawn
sketches? ;)

What should be used instead of the gray circles? Can we stick with the
icons we currently use for now?

So incoming amounts are shown in green with a + and outgoing amounts are
shown in normal text color without +/-, right? If pending, amounts are
always gray?

Timestamps are always absolute with time? We currently use relative
timestamps in the overview as they are easier to grap and absolute
timestamps in the detail view of transactions.

Kind Regards,
Torsten