Re: [Taler] (docs) exchange port ranges

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: [Taler] (docs) exchange port ranges
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2020 23:18:42 -0500

() Christian Grothoff <grothoff@gnunet.org>
() Wed, 9 Dec 2020 23:43:36 +0100

   Well, *normally* (in production), we'd recommend running
   _everything_ behind a reverse proxy and to use UNIX domain
   sockets instead of TCP ;-).  The 808x-ports are merely used
   to run the test suite(s). Our actual deployment on taler.net
   doesn't use those.

Ah OK, makes sense.

   > It looks like taler-exchange uses ports 8080 through 8083 for
   > various purposes, according to a quick grep of ":808[0-9]" in
   > exchange.git.  What am i missing?  What about PostgreSQL?
   > Sqlite3?  Etc?

   Postgres also should use a UNIX domain socket, as is also the
   default on Debian.  Taler currently does not use sqlite3 at
   all (but GNUnet would not build without it). In the future,
   the Taler merchant is expected to offer support for sqlite3,
   but we'll need someone to implement that first ;-).

OK.

   > The reason i ask is that "make check" for taler-exchange-0.8.1
   > is failing for me because i have a very strict firewall setup.
   > I imagine others might have a similar setup and would need to
   > know which ports are OK to open so that:
   >
   > - "make check" succeeds;
   > - normal operation is unimpeded.

   For 'make check', you primarily MUST have a 'talercheck'
   database in Postgres for which your current user has CREATE
   TABLE (or superuser) rights. Otherwise, the test suite
   *should* "skip" tests, but I'm not sure we have done the
   'skip' logic consistently everywhere.

   Your firewall should also allow 'loopback' traffic for the
   808x-ports, but I'm not aware of any _sane_ firewall that
   forbids those.

Turns out there are problems even before the firewall is
involved.  I have been trying for hours to get "make check" to
pass w/o success.  It seems to be fine in src/exchange/pq/
(given the invocation "make check PGHOST=/tmp/pg", where /tmp/pg
is the location of a temporary test cluster complete w/ a proper
‘talercheck’ database created), but unfortunately, not so in
src/exchange/.

The function ‘GNUNET_PLUGIN_load’ always returns NULL and
furthermore displays:

 Configuration fails to specify option `CONFIG' in section
`exchangedb-postgres'!

(This is from the ../exchange-tools/taler-exchange-dbinit
invocation in src/exchange/test_taler_exchange_httpd.sh.)  I
notice that invocation does not end in ‘|| exit 1’.  Why not?
The funny thing is that test_taler_exchange_httpd.conf does
indeed have the correct stanza:

 [exchangedb-postgres]
 CONFIG = "postgres:///talercheck"

I suspect no one has actually run "make check" w/o having first
done "make install".  If someone has, please share the secret!

--
 (defun responsep (query)               ; (2020) Software Libero