Re: [Taler] How about a Non-anonymous Taler?

From: Bruno Haible
Subject: Re: [Taler] How about a Non-anonymous Taler?
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2021 11:20:14 +0100

Florian Pelz wrote:
> As I understand it, unlike crypto currencies, Taler needs an exchange
> that has a banking license (at least when trading in fiat currencies).
> Therefore the exchange must invest its money with low risk and little
> profit.

Yes.

> Taler is anonymous, so the exchange cannot make money from
> selling data to credit bureaus (Schufa etc.).

Yes. That is the main feature that distinguishes Taler from other digital
payment systems.

> So I suppose payments
> with Taler would need to be more expensive, unlike cash or crypto?

Yes. See https://taler.net/en/faq.html question "How much does it cost?".

I would expect that competition between different exchanges it sufficient
to keep the fees reasonably low.

> For more adoption, would it therefore make sense to have the Taler
> payment protocol support less expensive non-anonymous payments as
> well?

That would dilute the purpose of GNU Taler.

Bruno