Re: [Taler] How does the "Withdraw Loophole" enable untaxed payments?

From: Rune K. Svendsen
Subject: Re: [Taler] How does the "Withdraw Loophole" enable untaxed payments?
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2021 12:06:48 +0100

Hi Christian,

Thank you for your response and the PDF.

As far as I can see, whether this loophole can actually be used for
tax evasion depends on the definition of a taxable event in whichever
jurisdiction Taler is used. A customer "C" withdrawing talers (via the
Withdraw Loophole) to merchant "M1", who then spends the tokens with
merchant "M2", is only problematic if M1 receiving the talers is a
taxable event. If not, ie. if the only taxable event is *redeeming*
the talers at the exchange for a wire transfer, then there's no issue
since this is equivalent to the C withdrawing Talers to itself and
spending them with M2.

To be clear, I'm considering the use of Taler where a private entity
runs an exchange, and this exchange's Taler tokens thus become IOUs
that are redeemable (by merchants) in whichever currency the customer
sent to the exchange to begin with.

/Rune