Re: [Taler] Money with capabilities

From: Jacob Bachmeyer
Subject: Re: [Taler] Money with capabilities
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 17:52:48 -0500

Özgür Kesim wrote:
Hello Talerians,

This is a post about the question: "What social impact would money
have if it comes with certain constraints?".  It is a longer post and
I thank you right away for taking your time to read it.

My aim is to initiate a discussion and investigation of the landscape
of scenarios and arguments for and against adding capabilities to
digital money.

[...]

“Of all the tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under the omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber barons cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.” -- C.S. Lewis

### 3.2.2       Lock-in to limited capabilities

One could make the argument that people who are given only money with
limited capabilities might be permenantly locked-out from legal access
to money with UPP.  For example: Authorities might allow refugees only
limited access to the market by giving them money with reduced
capabilities.
However, in the context of GNU Taler there are at least two options
available for the owner of money with limited capabilities:

1. Peer-to-peer transactions could be used to exchange coins with
   limited capabilities for coins with UPP for a fee.  This would
   allow for transparent and controllable transactions.

2. Based on trust, another person with access to UPP-money could
   simply share their (UPP) coins in exchange for the coins with
   limited capabilities.

So I think that a monetary system based on GNU Taler can offer
enough opportunities for exchange of UPP-money from LPP-money.

If this is allowed, it would completely nullify the entire purpose of LPP-money. Therefore, option 1 would be quickly prohibited and option 2 would exist only as a black market. Further, there have already been proposals for "colored money" that essentially suggest eliminating UPP-money entirely. That is such an outrageously unethical position that I strongly oppose even small steps towards enabling such oppression. Again, see the C.S. Lewis quote above for the answer to any claims of benefits of LPP "money".

-- Jacob