Re: [Taler] Is an exchange also a merchant?

From: Calvin Burns
Subject: Re: [Taler] Is an exchange also a merchant?
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 11:42:24 +0000

"may be run by a central bank" seems natural:
I would expect a convergence to an exchange monopoly or oligarchy in a
commercial exchange system because the bigger the more profit and the cheaper
the relative administration.
What is better: a monopoly controlled by the state (hopefully someday by a
democratically legitimated government) or by a private corporation?  Usually
it's like that: if a private corporation manages some public infrastructure like
the ledger system, health insurance, water, bridges, trains, power supply,
underground, pension scheme, ..., than quality decreases (dramatically) while
costs (for those who depend on it) increases (dramatically).  And it has the
effect of excluding the poor (which is an instance of "dramatically").

Perhaps another option might be to have multiple local currency systems.
But than the question arises how do they interact or how should they interact?

> An exchange is a payment service provider, merely facilitating payments,
> but not a "productive" economic entity. An exchange is expected to
> always be in the regulated financial sector and hold some kind of
> license from the government to issue electronic money. It may be run by
> a central bank.
>
> A merchant is like any normal shop: it can sell regular virtual or
> physical goods to customers in return for electronic cash. It will most
> of the time not be tightly regulated at all (except of course stuff like
> consumer protection and paying taxes ;-)).
>
> I hope this helps!
yes, at least by giving some impulses or directions to think.