Re: [Taler] Taler for local currencies, local electronic currency called

From: Schanzenbach, Martin
Subject: Re: [Taler] Taler for local currencies, local electronic currency called "e-Chiemgauer"?
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2022 16:10:46 +0000

> On 2. Jul 2022, at 11:56, Thomas via Taler <taler@gnu.org> wrote:
>
> Hello,
> I had the same question as Daniel!
> And remembered the local currency "Chiemgauer"
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiemgauer
> and found, it has – beside voucher system – a digital money, electronic
> currency called "e-Chiemgauer" resp. Regiocard!
>
> Two articles from their service provider "REGIOS eG" [eG = legal cooperative
> n Germany].
> Translated with DeepL (free version)
>
> "Regiocard
> One card - many possibilities.
> The Regiocard can be used to make cashless payments. Consumers register free
> of charge with their Regiogeld [local currency] association and receive their
> Regiocard within 14 days. The Regiocard works like an EC* card: customers can
> use it to "withdraw" vouchers from their account or pay directly at the
> terminal at the checkout.

I think this is key here. The fact that this basically works just like a
regular EC card, there is presumably little to no integration cost at the
merchant side.
I do not know what the Taler approach would be here, but I guess the best/most
simple solution to integrate Taler at a small shop is using a mobile merchant
App.
This is a significantly higher integration cost without even looking at the
legal requirements.
Especially for low volume, local currencies this is important as you are
looking at relatively significant investments (for the merchant).

> With this card, Regiogeld [local currency] has arrived in the modern world of
> electronic payments. It makes using Regiogeld [local currency] simple and
> easy to understand - for providers, consumers and associations.
>
> In order to be able to offer the service to consumers, entrepreneurs receive
> payment software from Regios eG. This is already included in the monthly fee.
> If desired, REGIOS eG will take care of integration at the point of sale.
>
> Regios eG is currently the computing center for the "Chiemgauer" and the
> "Sterntaler" [both are local currency]. We ensure that the Regiogeld cash
> register is correct, that Regiogeld [local currency] users can pay
> conveniently and comfortably, and that larger sums can be moved with the help
> of electronic Regiogeld.
>
> With the successful Chiemgauer model project, we have been successfully
> demonstrating the possible uses of Regiogeld for several years. In order to
> be able to move a turnover of four million Chiemgauer, a silent processing
> system is needed in the background. Paying by card and automatically
> benefiting a good cause, transferring 10,000 Chiemgauer at the push of a
> button or withdrawing 100 Chiemgauer in cash. No problem with the REGIOS
> computer center. We offer you a complete system from a single source.
>
> If you don't want to reinvent the wheel and want to set up a successful
> Regiogeld project with the most modern possibilities, contact us and simply
> fill out the contact form."
> https://www.regios.eu/regiogeld/regiocard/
>
> *
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheque_guarantee_card
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurocheque
>

> "Regio account
> A Regio account is a normal bank account to which the Regiogeld [local
> currency] rules are applied. This enables us to implement Regiogeld [local
> currency] in the established banking system. To use a Regiogeld [local
> currency] account, a bank account must be opened at a regional bank of your
> choice and a data center service form must be filled out. Then Regios eG
> applies the Regiogeld rules to this account.
>
> For our Regiocard, the Regiogeld [local currency] accounts are the technical
> basis. Companies and associations participating in the Regiocard system need
> a Regiogeld [local currency] account. Consumer payments and distributions for
> associations are posted to this account. For payments between regio accounts
> (i.e. from regio account to regio account), no re-exchange fee is due. This
> regional fee is only charged when payments are transferred from a regio
> account to another bank account that is not part of the regio account system."
> https://www.regios.eu/regiogeld/regiokonto
>
> Sounds interesting right? How they are applying their "Regiogeld" [local
> currency] rules to usual bank account?

I think it is interesting how they legally work around the issue of local legal
tender and if they would be interested in Taler as a technology.
But, see above, the key for its success (first time I heard of it so I do not
really know how successful it actually is) seems to be integration cost to me?
You are looking at actual paper and EC vs a whole technology stack.

BR
Martin