Re: [Taler] GNU Taler: An update from Switzerland...

From: Calvin Burns
Subject: Re: [Taler] GNU Taler: An update from Switzerland...
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2022 14:20:31 +0000

On Fri, 09/30/2022 01:01:04 PM, Christian Grothoff wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Watson [1] just reported on the Swiss parliament having put forward an
> inquiry ("Postulat") with support form members of all parties in the
> parliament tasking the Swiss government to evaluate the legal foundations
> for an introduction of GNU Taler [2] by the Swiss National bank.
>
> Naturally, this is not a done deal (and "only" Switzerland), but it could be
> one significant step forward. So thanks for your continued support and let's
> keep hacking!
>

> Christian
> --
> [1]
> https://www.watson.ch/digital/schweiz/567383477-gnu-taler-bundesrat-soll-einfuehrung-von-digitalem-bargeld-pruefen
> [2] https://taler.net/

My hope would be to introduce GNU Taler such that the payment system is
independent of the economic state of banks (or any other entity).  As I
understand one reason for the bail out of big banks by tax payers is the
dependence of the payment system on the existence of banks.  But that does not
make sense:  the account data is independent of the existence of a bank.  In an
earlier post [1] you mention a protocol for the bankruptcy case of a Taler
exchange.  Shouldn't we have something similar regarding banks?  That way we
remove one "moral hazard" [2].

[1] Message-Id: <18910983-c566-d3b3-c50b-700a0a0288cf@gnunet.org>
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_hazard