Re: [Taler] Cashdesk with GNU Taler?

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [Taler] Cashdesk with GNU Taler?
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2022 10:42:59 +0100

On 12/6/22 01:09, Florian Jung via Taler wrote:
Hi Christian,

On 12/5/22 00:49, Christian Grothoff wrote:
You need to create another (non-exchange) bank account with credentials in the libeufin-sandbox, and then give the respective username/password to the cashier app, using "$ENDPOINT/demobanks/default" for the URL (yes, a bit awkward, on my list to get fixed).

I tried this, but the cashier app only says "Fehler beim Abrufen der Konfiguration: %s" (yes, with the %s part. I'd love to see the reason :D)

Using superuser credentials instead of normal ones also does not help.

Superuser credentials never work, they are ONLY for the CLI (for some reason, maybe for a bad reason, but at least that is normal).

(The API address i used was: http://myhostname:5016/demobanks/default, which is accessible (but 403) from my phone's browser.)

Maybe first try to deploy the WebUI (see below), and then see if you can setup a user and _then_ see if the Cashier App works with that ;-).

Additionally, you either need to have configured the sandbox to allow negative balances OR make a 'fake' wire transfer to that user's bank account to get money into the system to withdraw.

I didn't do that, though. But that shouldn't cause the above problem, should it?

Last but not least, if you enable self-registration in libeufin-sandbox, you could also use the $ENDPOINT/webui/ to create accounts and initiate withdrawals.
How do I enable this? I have "allowRegistrations" set to true, is that what you mean?

Yes.

curl -u admin:ZRLTTikeUbIJjAB6C7pS --basic localhost:5016/demobanks/default
{
 "currency" : "MANA",
 "name" : "default",
 "userDebtLimit" : 1000,
 "bankDebtLimit" : 1000000,
 "allowRegistrations" : true <--- does that mean it's enabled?

However, the /webui endpoint 404s for me. Is my sandbox version (built from git ~2 weeks ago) too old?

Maybe rather too new ;-). In the latest versions, the /webui is no longer part of libeufin and needs to be installed (static file) separately and is (usually) injected via reverse proxy, something I forgot about ;-). This is the relevant part of my nginx configuration:

server {
  server_name bank.chf.taler.net;

  # redirect '/' to /webui;
  rewrite ^/$ /webui/ redirect;

  # everything usually goes to the proxy
  location / {
    proxy_set_header Host $host;
    proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-Host "bank.chf.taler.net";
    proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-Proto "https";
    proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-Prefix "/";
    proxy_pass http://localhost:9941/;
  }
  location ~ ^/webui/.*$ {
    root /var/www/demobank-ui;
    index index.html;
    expires max;
    add_header Cache-Control "public";
  }
}

We then have:

# ls /var/www/demobank-ui/webui/
demobank-ui-settings.js   index.css      index.html  index.js.map
index.css.map  index.js

# cat webui/demobank-ui-settings.js
localStorage.setItem("bank-base-url",
                     "https://bank.chf.taler.net/demobanks/default/";);
globalThis.talerDemobankSettings = {
  allowRegistrations: false,
  bankName: "BFH TI Bank",
  // Show explainer text and navbar to other demo sites
  showDemoNav: false,
  // Names and links for other demo sites to show in the navbar
  demoSites: [
    ["Landing", "https://demo.taler.net/";],
    ["Bank", "https://bank.demo.taler.net/";],
    ["Essay Shop", "https://shop.demo.taler.net/";],
    ["Donations", "https://donations.demo.taler.net/";],
    ["Survey", "https://donations.demo.taler.net/";],
  ],
};

The 'demobank-ui' is generated via the wallet-core.git/packages/demobank-ui/.

We still need to create a proper Debian package for libeufin that sets this up automatically...

I hope this helps!

-Christian