[Taler] Coin value

From: David Kleuker
Subject: [Taler] Coin value
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2022 23:50:51 +0100 (CET)

Hello,

i noticed in the demo, the KUDOS coins have only 2 different values, 0.1 and 10.
So when i transfer 5000 KUDOS, 500 coins are transferred.
Which takes a long time and even the exchanges throttles it.

https://bugs.gnunet.org/view.php?id=7538

I think the performance would be much better if we had also coins with a value of 100 and 1000.

But that's just the demo.

What interests me the most is, how it is planned for EURO.
Do you plan to implement any coins and banknote that exist in real form?

I found a document from the EZB about the digital euro, that says:

6.5 Technical assumptions
The following assumptions are preliminary and may be subject to change during development

Amounts: Digital euro amounts are encoded as 8-byte integers representing value in eurocents. This
avoids the use of fractional arithmetic, which could be a source of error. It has been noted that this may
affect the remuneration component (if implemented) since remuneration will be measured in fractions
of eurocents. Yet, it will not create undue difficulties.

https://www.ecb.europa.eu/paym/digital_euro/investigation/profuse/shared/files/dedocs/ecb.dedocs221207_annex1_front_end_prototype_providers_technical_onboarding_package.en.pdf?96894d1ebc6c998d75233c57bf1c66eb
https://www.ecb.europa.eu/paym/intro/news/html/ecb.mipnews221207.en.html

Would that be compatible with your implementation of coins?

Do you know and can you say, if they use Taler for these prototype tests?

kind regards
David