Re: [Taler] Taler as regional currency

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [Taler] Taler as regional currency
Date: Tue, 28 May 2024 12:44:50 +0200

Dear Juegen,

As Marc wrote, the people from Netzbon.ch are doing exactly this right now. They have their annual assembly on June 10th in Basel, if you want to seek them out in person that _might_ be an opportunity. We've recently started to put together a brochure for shops to explain to them how they could accept GNU Taler. I'm attaching the latest version. Also, I'm putting the Netzbon people in BCC so that they could contact you for a direct exchange.

Furthermore, GLS Bank is *thinking* about offering bank accounts for event-currencies and __maybe__ also for regional currencies (???), but AFAIK they're still looking into the regulatory fun this would entail. Regardless, they are most knowledgeable about GNU Taler so if you want your regional currency to be backed by an EUR bank account (with currency conversion), you should talk to Leo (in CC).

Recently, Siggi (also in CC) mentioned to me that he's in principle happy to offer *hosting* support for event (and I presume regional) currency setups (running the servers). And naturally, Taler Systems SA and the GNU Taler community might be helpful with development support.

So that's your puzzle pieces:

Netzbon - actual first experience
GLS Bank - possible bank, regulatory fun ahead
Siggi - possible sysadmin-as-a-service

Our documentation for this kind of setup is here:
https://docs.taler.net/libeufin/regional-automated-manual.html

Happy hacking & good luck!

Christian