taskdeb-discuss

Fixing vit to depend on Python3

From: Chad Phillips
Subject: Fixing vit to depend on Python3
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2020 10:05:20 -0700

A recent message came across about vit being scheduled for autoremoval from the packaging system due to its dependency on Urwid:

"vit 2.0.0-1 is marked for autoremoval from testing on 2020-04-22

It (build-)depends on packages with these RC bugs:
938759: urwid: Python2 removal in sid/bullseye"

I'm the vit maintainer, but don't handle the Debian packaging stuff, I'm not even exactly sure who does. However, I'm guessing this is a straightforward fix, to swap in the already existing Python 3 Urwid package:

https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=python3-urwid

I hope whoever is in charge of this makes a fix in time, it would be a shame if vit didn't stay in the packaging system.