taskdeb-discuss

Re: Fixing vit to depend on Python3

From: Mattia Rizzolo
Subject: Re: Fixing vit to depend on Python3
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2020 18:21:23 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 10:05:20AM -0700, Chad Phillips wrote:
> A recent message came across about vit being scheduled for autoremoval from
> the packaging system due to its dependency on Urwid:
>
> "vit 2.0.0-1 is marked for autoremoval from testing on 2020-04-22
>
> It (build-)depends on packages with these RC bugs:
> 938759: urwid: Python2 removal in sid/bullseye"

You need not worry about this bug: a fixed urwid has been uploaded a few
hours ago, so in 5 days that message should go away.

> I'm the vit maintainer, but don't handle the Debian packaging stuff, I'm
> not even exactly sure who does.

The listed vit maintainers in Debian are:
Uploaders: Iain R. Learmonth <address@hidden>,
           Alejandro Garrido Mota <address@hidden>,
           Jochen Sprickerhof <address@hidden>

> However, I'm guessing this is a
> straightforward fix, to swap in the already existing Python 3 Urwid package:
>
> https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=python3-urwid

That's not quite the point: the bug is about removing the python2 bit,
regardless of the presence of the python3 version.  As I mentioned,
that's done today :)
https://tracker.debian.org/news/1111222/accepted-urwid-201-3-source-into-unstable/

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on the point of view), the
python2 removal is very wide, and you can see its effects spread all
around...

--
regards,
                        Mattia Rizzolo