texi2html

Re: [Texi2html] manual licence

From: Patrice Dumas
Subject: Re: [Texi2html] manual licence
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 14:40:30 +0200

> The manual seems to be licenced under the GFDL, however it seems to me that
> the

In fact it isn't. I have retrieved a texi2html-1.64 (from Jul 2000,
Olaf was the maintainer) and the licence haven't been changed since
that time. So the confusion exists since the beginning. The confusion
is between the GPL in comments and the licence notice that doesn't
mention the GPL, nor any licence, but official translations from the
FSF. I think this is the licence notice that was in GNU projects before
the GFDL, I have seen such a licence on a gdb man page from 1991 on the
net.

Maybe the best approach would be to keep the GPL as is in comments
and modify the licence such that it doesn't refer to program but to the
document, like in:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/

What do you think about that?

Here is the notice:

  Permission is granted to make and distribute verbatim
  copies of this manual provided the copyright notice and
  this permission notice are preserved on all copies.

  @ignore
  Permission is granted to process this file through TeX and
  print the results, provided the printed document carries
  copying permission notice identical to this one except for
  the removal of this paragraph (this paragraph not being
  relevant to the printed manual).
  @end ignore

  Permission is granted to copy and distribute modified
  versions of this manual under the conditions for verbatim
  copying, provided that the entire resulting derived work is
  distributed under the terms of a permission notice
  identical to this one.

  Permission is granted to copy and distribute translations
  of this manual into another language, under the above
  conditions for modified versions, except that this
  permission notice may be stated in a translation approved
  by the Free Software Foundation.

--
Pat