texmacs-dev

Re: [Texmacs-dev] Darcy's plan for GNU TeXmacs 2.1.1

From: Darcy Shen
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Darcy's plan for GNU TeXmacs 2.1.1
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 22:13:16 +0800

> If my understanding is correct, then the main problem is the LaTeX export.

Before, the LaTeX export on the S7 branch might not work. I've fixed the LaTeX export in Mogan V1.1.0 (The fork of GNU TeXmacs based on S7 Scheme branch)
https://github.com/XmacsLabs/mogan/releases/tag/v1.1.0

> Does anyone understand why this is so much slower with S7?

Do you mean it is much slower to convert a TeXmacs document to LaTeX in S7 Scheme?

---- On Mon, 22 Nov 2021 07:22:41 +0800 TeXmacs <texmacs@lix.polytechnique.fr> wrote ---

Hi Darcy,

On Sun, Nov 21, 2021 at 11:20:49PM +0800, Darcy Shen via Texmacs-dev wrote:
> Recently, I'm focusing on S7 integration.
>
> Before the release of GNU TeXmacs 2.1.1, here is the list of changes I want to made:
>
> 1. get-user-login, get-user-name
>
>     + Deprecate the usage of the FullName.exe binary
>     + Deprecate the guile-only scheme functions

Please just make sure that the current implementation keeps working.
We won't move to another scheme for TeXmacs 2.1.1.

> 2. Improve the CMake build definition for Guile and upcoming S7 implementation
>
>     + Fixing the broken Guile 1.8 detection on macOS
>     + Prepare for the upcoming S7 impl

As long as this only concerns CMake, then that is fine with me.

> After the release, we could create a `s7_branch_2.1.1` just like the existing one:
>
> https://github.com/texmacs/texmacs/pull/56
>
> I hope to make `s7_branch_2.1.1` smaller and easier to review than `s7_branch_2.1`.
>
> Once `s7_branch_{TeXmacs_version}` works fine for both Guile 1.8 and S7, I think it is time to merge it.

About plans for Scheme. After the benchmarks, I got somewhat confused.

If S7 were systematically faster than Guile (at least than Guile 1.8),
then I think that moving to S7 is the simplest option for us.
Otherwise, we should keep playing with Guile 3 too.

If my understanding is correct, then the main problem is the LaTeX export.
Does anyone understand why this is so much slower with S7?

Another decision we could make is that we wish to keep the support
for various versions of Scheme. But then we would need a branch that
works for both S7 and Guile 3.

Some advice by Max would be useful here.

Best wishes, --Joris