[Tinycc-devel] Syncing caches

From: Basile STARYNKEVITCH
Subject: [Tinycc-devel] Syncing caches
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 12:07:07 +0100

    Jim> Inspired by this style of code generation, I'm thinking of
    Jim> using something similar to generate fast custom digital
    Jim> filters routines at run-time for a filter library I'm
    Jim> writing.  I know I could use libtcc, but inspired by the
    Jim> code-generation of tcc, I think that my filter code is simple
    Jim> enough to be written straight out without going via C or
    Jim> libtcc.

An alternative might be (for Jim's need) to use the GNU lightning
library, which provides a way to generate machine code at runtime, in
a portable fashion (by using a  machine model which is a RISC with 6
registers). See http://www.gnu.org/software/lightning/

You might also look into the way Squeak is compiling Smalltalk to
machine code. See http://www.squeak.org/

Both lightning & squeak are based on Ian Piumarta's code generator
called CCG.

    Jim> The only concern I have is about processor caches.

lightning deals with this (thru jit_flush_code).

email: basile<at>starynkevitch<dot>net
alias: basile<at>tunes<dot>org