[Tinycc-devel] 8 times faster than GCC?!!

From: Per Wigren
Subject: [Tinycc-devel] 8 times faster than GCC?!!
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 21:57:30 +0100

I don't think so...

Check this out:

oggy gexace # time gcc -O2 -o gexace-gcc gexace.c
real    10m12.746s
user    9m33.227s
sys     0m4.897s
oggy gexace # time tcc -o gexace-tcc gexace.c
real    0m1.353s
user    0m0.472s
sys     0m0.061s

That looks almost 1000 times faster to me! ;)

Check this file (from the GOBO-project http://www.gobosoft.com generated by
the smalleiffel eiffel-compiler) if you don't believe me:
http://www.wigren.nu/gexace.c.bz2

I tried to compile a lot of packages with tcc today but none of them wanted to
compile.. I guess tcc is MUCH stricter than gcc...

Some simple benchmarkings also showed me that it generates code about as fast
as "gcc -O2", slightly slower than "gcc -O3" and quite a bit slower than "gcc
-O3 -fomit-frame-pointer" on many things... I haven't even tried to compare
with "gcc -O3 -march=athlon-mp -mfpmath=sse,387 -fomit-frame-pointer
-ffast-math" etc yet ;)

Anyway, tcc is damn cool! I couldn't believe my eyes when I found out that it
compiled GOBO in less than a minute... It took more than 3 hours (!!!) to
build with gcc 3.2.1 on my dual athlon 1.2ghz with 512 mb ram.... :P

Regards,
Per Wigren