Re: [Tinycc-devel] Any hope for small c++ compiler

From: fabrice . bellard
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Any hope for small c++ compiler
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 12:31:13 +0100 (MET)

Quoting Brian Olsen <address@hidden>:

> I know that a small fast C compiler is very useful.  However, there's
> tons of us desparate C++ coders who are peeved at g++, which is even
> slower than gcc.
>
> Of course the goal would be to compile something as beastly as KDE or
> FOX, or libsigc++.
>
> Is it better to go for a cfront type precompiler and run that through
> tcc or just implement a native tc++ compiler from scratch?
>
> Last time I checked I didn't really see any too active projects like
> this.  The reason probably is that the c++ standard sucks enough that
> it's impossible to trivially write a c++ compiler.

C++ is _very_ complicated, so it will never be supported in TCC. Adding a subset
of C++ is doable (classes with simple inheritance, operators), but I think it
would not be very useful since you would not be able to compile "real life" C++
projects.

Another idea would be to add dynamic objects and strings as in Javascript to
ease scripting, but I need to be persuaded that some people will use it :-)

Fabrice.