Re: [Tinycc-devel] Any hope for small c++ compiler

From: Jean-Claude Wippler
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Any hope for small c++ compiler
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 13:38:25 +0100

address@hidden wrote:

C++ is _very_ complicated, so it will never be supported in TCC. Adding a subset of C++ is doable (classes with simple inheritance, operators), but I think it would not be very useful since you would not be able to compile "real life" C++
projects.

Another idea would be to add dynamic objects and strings as in Javascript to ease scripting, but I need to be persuaded that some people will use it :-)

My vote would be to keep C as it is, and TCC right along with it.

After a decade of C++, I've all but abandoned it for the multi-level "scripting + C" approach as design model (pick any scripting language, there are half a dozen mature ones out there), and have never looked back in the last few years. Trying to use C++ (and Java) for everything is like trying to build a house with grains of sand. To each his own, but as a once strong advocate of C++, I can only hope that TCC will not stray from its path.

My €.02 ...

-jcw