Re: [Tinycc-devel] i386 PIC PLT optimization ?

From: Greg Haerr
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] i386 PIC PLT optimization ?
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 21:12:07 -0800

> 1) On i386, the PLT is built by the static linker whereas on PPC it is
> built dynamically by the dynamic linker. The net result is that the
> executables are smaller and that indirect jumps can be avoided in the
> PLT, so the inter DLL/EXEs calls are faster.

Does this require paging in the entire executable for the scan,
or is it handled differently?  In other words, is this method likely
to be quite a bit slower for larger executables?

> Maybe implementing that in TCC could be interesting :-) A slight patch
> in ld.so would be needed to support that while staying compatible with
> standard DLLs.

Sounds interesting, I must say.  I like the notion of later-stage dynamic
linking.  Does this method require the symbol table, which would allow
late-time binding by function name, or is the method using compile-time
addresses?

Regards,

Greg