Re: [Tinycc-devel] bug-report:parameters catch

From: Peter Finderup Lund
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] bug-report:parameters catch
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 14:23:32 +0100 (MET)

On Thu, 6 Feb 2003, Vladimir Moushkov wrote:

> i mean that the tcc shoudln't be sensetive where is '-o' parameter before the
> source file parameter or after.

But it is.

It's because tcc supports a feature that gcc doesn't: running your
program immediately without a separate link phase and without your having
to start the resulting program from the shell.

It /is/ documented :)

For example the main web page (http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/tcc/) says:

Features
 o SMALL! You can compile and execute C code everywhere, for example on
    rescue disks (80KB for x86 TCC executable).
 o FAST! tcc generates optimized x86 code. No byte code
    overhead. Compile, assemble and link several times faster than GCC.
 o UNLIMITED! Any C dynamic library can be used directly. TCC is
    heading torward full ISOC99 compliance. TCC can of course compile
    itself.
 o SAFE! tcc includes an optional memory and bound
    checker. Bound checked code can be mixed freely with standard
    code.

 o Compile and execute C source directly. No linking or assembly
    necessary. Full C preprocessor included.

 o C script supported : just add '#!/usr/local/bin/tcc' at the first
    line of your C source, and execute it directly from the command
    line.
 o With libtcc, you can use TCC as a backend for dynamic code
    generation.

And in the docs:

http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/tcc/tcc-doc.html#SEC2

Maybe it should be changed so tcc defaults to being agnostic about the
order of the command line arguments.  The "run immediately" behaviour
could be initiated by a --run switch.  It would make tcc work better as a
gcc drop-in replacement and would also help people who don't read the docs
;)

Personally, though, I don't care.  I don't think it is necessary.

-Peter

``Average programmers should be rounded up and placed in internment camps
to keep them away from keyboards.''