Re: [Tinycc-devel] What is size overhead of compiled code?

From: Fabrice Bellard
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] What is size overhead of compiled code?
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 14:47:11 +0200

Note also that the TCC linker does not remove unused object files (given the current architecture it would be simpler to remove unused code at the variable or function level, but it would cause compatibility problems with GCC compiled object or library files).

So a fair comparison with GCC should be made only on the object files with the 'size' command.

Fabrice.

Philippe Ribet wrote:
Looks like my last mail failed.

Question was:
What I was wondering, I am interested in knowing how much bigger
the generated code is. I realise that all the optimisations are not
there.
Can anyone come up with a ballpark estimate, in percentage?

Test with gcc 2.95.4 on a large code. Executable size in bytes
tcc: 2128340
gcc -O0: 2210099
gcc -O1: 1699847
gcc -O2: 1692071