[Tinycc-devel] Re: Optimizing code for expressions

From: Mauro Persano
Subject: [Tinycc-devel] Re: Optimizing code for expressions
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 07:46:32 -0300 (BRT)

Fabrice Bellart wrote:
> Yes, I am thinking about using a virtual RISC ISA with an infinite
> number of registers (well, 65536 registers should suffice). Optimizing a
> stack-based IL is more complicated and limits the number of generic
> optimisations you can do.

Well, that wouldn't be far from how gcc does things. gcc first
generates intermediate code that assumes an infinite number of
pseudo registers, which is then followed by some data flow
analysis and a global register allocation method that resembles
graph coloring - apparently they avoided using the name "graph
coloring" as the algorithm is patented by IBM.

    Mauro