[Tinycc-devel] bug in build system

From: Neil Conway
Subject: [Tinycc-devel] bug in build system
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 17:20:19 -0500

If I configure tcc to be installed under a prefix that does not yet exist, "make install" fails. It is usually pretty standard practice for the build system to create the prefix directory if it does not exist, AFAIK.

I can repro this 100% of the time, using both current CVS sources and the 0.9.20 release:

$ ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/tcc ; make
[ ... ]
$ su
Password:
# make install
install -m755 tcc /usr/local/tcc/bin
install: cannot create regular file `/usr/local/tcc/bin': No such file or directory
make: *** [tcc_install] Error 1
# file /usr/local/tcc
/usr/local/tcc: cannot open (/usr/local/tcc)

Similarly, if any of the expected subdirectories of the installation prefix don't yet exist, the install process bails out:

# mkdir /usr/local/tcc
# make install
install -m755 tcc /usr/local/tcc/bin
install tcc.1 /usr/local/tcc/man/man1
install: cannot create regular file `/usr/local/tcc/man/man1': No such file or directory
make: *** [tcc_install] Error 1

IMHO this is a bug, or at least it violates the Principle of Least Surprise. Let me know if you'd prefer that I submit a patch to fix it myself...

Cheers,

Neil