Re: [Tinycc-devel] TCC code generation for a stack based VM

From: Fabrice Bellard
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] TCC code generation for a stack based VM
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 15:40:54 +0100

Zoltán Lörincz wrote:
Hello Fabrice,

thank you  for your answer.

First of all i have a question related to the mailing list administration. I made a subscribtion a few days ago (saturday last week) at
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/tinycc-devel but didn't got
any confirmation up to now.
Does this usually takes so long? or  something went wrong with my subscribtion?

I don't know. I did nothing to the mailing list.

Regarding to the VM i think i will take your suggestion.

I don't have to handle the floating/double types so the instruction
set will be reduced with a few instruction.

OK.

But i have to implement a custom byte format wich has to be simpler
than the elf format.

If your format has to be more complicated than a raw binary image (which TCC can generate with the -Wl,--oformat,binary option), then use ELF. Almost no patches will be needed in TinyCC for that (just a few constant definitions and a few lines to handle the relocation, see the ARM and c67 cases), and loading an ELF file is very easy. Anyway, as TinyCC uses ELF to store the generated binary in memory, you _must_ implement an ELF support even if it is not your format on the disk.

Fabrice.