Re: [Tinycc-devel] Tinycc issues

From: Dominic Mazzoni
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Tinycc issues
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 16:06:41 -0800

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
On Tue, 15 Mar 2005, Dominic Mazzoni wrote:

1. NaN in floating-point constants:

  It is sometimes appropriate for a user-defined numerical function to
  return NaN.  Normally I do this by defining a constant in my code, like
  this:

    float NAN_FLOAT = (float)(0.0 / 0.0);

This is undefined. May be either a quiet NaN or a signalling NaN depending on the floating point implementation.

That's true, although for all practical purposes all modern CPUs use IEEE floats, which is well-defined, and all modern POSIX systems let you control whether to use quiet or signalling NaNs...

You should use the NAN macro if available.

Example (Linux):

#define _ISOC99_SOURCE
#include <math.h>

int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
    printf("%f\n", NAN);
}

If NAN is not defined (it's a macro) then the floating point implementation does not support quiet NaNs.

Thanks, that will work fine.

However, the crash in tinycc should still be fixed.  :)

- Dominic

Regards
Henrik