Re: [Tinycc-devel] TinyCC's future

From: Fabrice Bellard
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] TinyCC's future
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 18:18:13 +0200

Neil Bradley wrote:
I had been told at one time that anything beyond x86 was not in TCC's future. That got me thinking - what is the intenet on TCC's future? It's an honest question, not meant to flame or insult. I feel it's a sleekly designed compiler with a potentially bright future - something to rival the albatross that gcc has become. What it's ultimate goal?

I made TCC as a toy - my goal was to make the smallest self compiling C compiler. Then the project diverted and I should have stopped there :-)

I have no current plan for TCC except merging contributions from others I find interesting. People having contributed a significant amount of patches can be candidates to help me maintain the project.

It would be good to design a better code generator for TinyCC in the same spirit as the whole project (small and fast), but I have no motivation to do that yet and I found no code generator which fullfilled my needs.

Here are other simpler projects:

- Portability and cross compiling: allow TinyCC to cross compile for targets with different endianness and word size (32 or 64 bits).

- Portability and floats: use the soft float library for all floating point computations in the compiler.

- Fix remaining bugs to pass all the gcc 3.x validation tests.

- Add support for '-E' gcc option.

- Add an x86_64 code generator.

- Add a PowerPC code generator.

- Add a .net bytecode generator.

- Stricter type checking at some points (see the XXX in the code).

Fabrice.