Re: [Tinycc-devel] casting bug?

From: Dave Dodge
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] casting bug?
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 16:27:00 -0400

On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 12:12:16PM +0200, Alexander Strasser wrote:
> Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> > LP64 platforms commonly has
> >
> > sizeof(void *) == 8
> > sizeof(long long) == 8
> > sizeof(long) == 8
> > sizeof(int) == 4
> > sizeof(short) == 2
> > sizeof(char) == 1
>
>   IIRC m$ decided to go with LLP64 model, meaning long stays 32bit.

Yes.  There was a interesting discussion/argument about this decision
in one of the MSDN blogs a few months ago:

  http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2005/01/31/363790.aspx

Some other models that have been used:

  - I once ported some code to an old Cray system where char was 8
    bits and everything else was 64 bits.

  - I've read about DSP platforms (I think these are currently in
    production) where everything, including char, is 64 bits wide.

> This no-guarantee-about-sizes-in-C thing begins to hurt nowadays ;)
> Maybe it is really best to use special types like int_fast32_t

If the size of the type matters, <stdint.h> can be very useful.

                                                  -Dave Dodge