Re: [Tinycc-devel] tcctest.c fails on Windows

From: David A. Wheeler
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] tcctest.c fails on Windows
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 23:06:28 -0400

Sven Oliver Moll wrote:
Hello!

I've been playing around a bit with tcc on both the Linux and Windows platforms I have.

I noticed that the tcctest.c doesn't put out the same results on Windows
as on Linux (or cygwin or mingw), no matter if it's compiled with MinGW
or selfcompiled. As far as I can tell from the output there seems to be
problems when it comes to long doubles.

Just wanted to drop this here, because I don't know if it's a known bug
or not.

I had a similar experience (long doubles cause a change of result),
though it wasn't Windows vs. Linux.  Someone else here explained my
question; it may explain yours too.

"long double" only takes 10 bytes, but for alignment purposes it takes
12 bytes.  The last two "extra" bytes aren't particularly controlled
(they take "junk" values).  I would prefer that this always be zero'ed,
so that results were always the same, but I haven't tried to make
such a patch.

--- David A. Wheeler