Re: [Tinycc-devel] Porting TCC to RTLinux

From: Basile STARYNKEVITCH
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Porting TCC to RTLinux
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 08:04:55 +0100

Le Thu, Nov 23, 2006 at 07:25:48AM +0100, Basile STARYNKEVITCH écrivait/wrote:

> And BTX tinycc generate machine code which is not better than what
> you'll get with lightning, and which could be worse that what you get
> with libjit.
>
> Kernel code have severe constraints - you mentioned the 4k stack . So
> you probably should put entirely a full compiler in it. And as you
> mentioned, C is already too low level for you.

Sorry for the typo, I really meant that you should NOT put a full
compiler inside the kernel.

And I am pretty sure that if you try to put tinycc inside a linux
kernel, it would be very painful and non trivial. In contrast, a
machine code generator (perhaps using GNU lightning or libjit) inside
the kernel is doable, and your helper application will drive it and
analyze your user input.