Re: [Tinycc-devel] TCC on ARM

From: Rob Landley
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] TCC on ARM
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 14:40:49 -0500

On Friday 01 December 2006 2:07 pm, Rob Landley wrote:
> The only way this _can_ matter is if A) this sub_ddmmss() thing runs on the
> host, not on the target (in which case, why the heck is it assembly?), B)
the
> test is wrong and confusing host with target.

Ok, looking closer:

1) It's not in assembly, it's just ugly.

2) It's not actually necessary.

This thing is only used in rt_error(), which is called from a signal handler
to try to give a better error message rather than just letting the signal
kill the compiler in case of a division by zero error or some such.

This is roughly the equivalent of gcc's "internal compiler error" code.  It's
not actually _needed_ on any platform, and quite possibly something tcc
shouldn't really be trying to do (just let the system's signal handler get
it, and if the sucker breaks a developer can run it under gdb.  We don't
_recover_ from any of these signals anyway, we just printf() a message and
exit(255).)

Rob
--
"Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but
when there is no longer anything to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery