Re: [Tinycc-devel] Buffer overflow protection ?

From: Philippe Ribet
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Buffer overflow protection ?
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 22:00:25 +0100

Xushi wrote:

Hi All.

I'm new to tcc, and i like it so far, nice and small.

Does tcc have any protection against buffer overflows ? I've done some basic testing and got weird results.

Two programs, the first one is a simple overflow. It segfaults in tcc 0.9.23 (doesn't in gcc 4.1).
===========================

[...]

Don't get me wrong, i'm not complaining at all, I'm using tcc for my thesis because of the ability to do this (very exciting too). I just wonder, does tcc have protection ?

I guess tcc does not segfault. It's your code that segfault when compiled with tcc. Yes. But why would you think that some C compiler can protect your code from overflow bugs? Your code is wrong, not the compiler.

Note that some tools try to detect overflows (maybe bcheck tcc option, and memory checker such as purify, memory patrol and the like).

--
Philippe Ribet

                        The README file said
             "Requires Windows 95, NT 4.0, or better."
                   So... I installed it on Linux!