Re: [Tinycc-devel] ppc target for tcc, alternatives

From: Leonard Ritter
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] ppc target for tcc, alternatives
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 22:10:27 +0100

Hi Basile,

thank you for your suggestions. I had a look at each project. I am going
to comment on them per suggestion and point out where I think each
solution might turn out to become problematic.

On Thu, 2007-01-11 at 16:55 +0100, Basile STARYNKEVITCH wrote:
> If you want to generate quickly binary code on 32bits PowerPC, you might
> consider GNU lightning. (which generate quickly naive machine code without
> optimisations, but don't work on 64bits PowerPC)

GNU lightning has no floating point support for PowerPC, only for x86.
The C code that needs to be translated on the fly deals almost entirely
with floating point arithmetic.

>  If you want to generate PowerPC code which is optimised, you might consider
> LLVM (which probably have JIT ability on PowerPC)

The LLVM codebase is not small, and unsuitable for intrinsic inclusion.
Furthermore this introduces a bit more than would suffice for me. I am
looking for a library that can turn C into x86 and PowerPC machine code
in a runtime environment. LLVM turns C (and other languages) into
bytecode, which is then translated to machine code. I need only a
fraction of that potential.

> You might also have a look into libjit and Parrotcode

libjit appears to be only a toolkit for people who want to write JIT
compilers.

Parrotcode does not seem to generate native code ( = slow), and is also
too big.

--
Leonard Ritter

-- Freelance Art & Logic