[Tinycc-devel] SCMs on Savannah: CVS, SVN, git

From: David A. Wheeler
Subject: [Tinycc-devel] SCMs on Savannah: CVS, SVN, git
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 19:06:25 -0500 (EST)

Fabrice Bellard wrote:
> > I can give you CVS write access to the TinyCC repository on Savannah so
> > that you can commit the patches you want. Do you have a Savannah account ?

Rob Landley:
> I don't have a savannah account, but I also haven't used CVS in years (except
> to do read-only anonymous checkouts).  Most of my systems don't even have it
> installed.
>
> I did SVN for busybox, but most of my development these days is done on my
> laptop, and that's only connected to the net about half the time.  This is
> why I use distributed source control these days (generally mercurial but I've
> been meaning to learn git) so I can commit into my laptop repository and
> rsync it next time I connect.

FYI: Here's some info that may help; if it doesn't help, please ignore it.

I know Savannah also supports Subversion (SVN), which handles file renames -
though not distributed development.

I think git is already up and running on Savannah.  These pages certainly leave
me with that impression:
https://savannah.nongnu.org/maintenance/Git
http://git.sv.gnu.org/gitweb/

There's an hg-to-git converter noted here:
http://git.or.cz/gitwiki/InterfacesFrontendsAndTools

There's a Savannah page about Mercurial; all it says is
"Some people would like to see Mercurial support.":
https://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/Hg

Other stuff here:
https://savannah.nongnu.org/maintenance/SavannahArchitecture

Git's handling of file renames is rather different than you might expect; read
their docs for more on why Linus thinks this is a good idea.  You certainly CAN
rename files, though, so it's not as limiting as CVS.  I suggest that if you
use git, do file renames as their own operation (checkout, rename, checkin,
keep working); it's not required, but I think it's a good practice.

> Oh, and my repository already has a number of file renames in it.  SVN could
> probably handle that, but last I checked CVS still can't.

I don't think that will ever get fixed (in the way I think you mean).  The
standard solution seems to be "move to SVN or some other system".

--- David A. Wheeler