Re: [Tinycc-devel] autoconfiscation

From: Ivo
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] autoconfiscation
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 15:04:13 +0200

On Sunday 26 August 2007 13:42, Gregg Reynolds wrote:
> On 8/26/07, Ivo <address@hidden> wrote:
> > On Sunday 26 August 2007 12:56, Gregg Reynolds wrote:
> > > Anybody out there willing to help test an autotoolized version?  I've
> > > been doing a lot of work with autoconf and friends lately, so I'm
> > > thinking about giving tinycc the treatment.  This might involve a
> > > little bit of source code tweaking, e.g. tcc.h, and the config* and
> > > Makefile* stuff would be completely replaced.
> >
> > I forsee Checking for Fortran compiler...  etc..
>
> I don't know what kind of traumas you suffered in your early
> development, but I had nothing to do with them.

Insulting people doesn't make you look smarter.

> > Please, don't. Why not fix the current configure?
>
> Right, that would be autoconfiscation.  Have you actually looked at
> the current stuff?  I have, and it looks broken to me.  If you think
> tweaking a lame non-portable config/build system for each new platform
> instead of using a portable framework is a good idea,

ffmpeg's configure is not a lame non-portable config/build system. It's
perfectly cross-platform. IMHO autoconf stuff is horribly broken. The
generated shell code is bloated and slow. There are numerous
incompatibilities between different versions of autoconf, automake, etc...
It does all sorts of tests that are unneeded, like checking for C++ and
Fortran compilers for a pure-c project, sometimes even fail to continue if
one of those are not found. Also, it's way too GNU-centric. A plain,
compact, properly coded POSIX sh configure is the way to go IMO. I'm not
saying that the current configure of tcc is like that (and yes, I have
looked at it in the past and it's GNU-centric too) but it could be.

> be my guest.

I have no need for a better configure, so I won't invest any time in it for
now.

Anyway, I'm not the project maintainer, so if Rob Landley or Fabrice Bellard
are willing to go the autoconf way, so be it. Perhaps you could also have a
look at menuconfig/kconfig. I suppose Rob Landley will like that.

--Ivo