Re: [Tinycc-devel] autoconfiscation

From: Rob Landley
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] autoconfiscation
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 18:57:33 -0500

On Thursday 30 August 2007 12:20:38 pm Sergey Lyubka wrote:
> > I don't know if this was one of Fabrice's design goals, but it's
> > certainly one
> > of mine.  Some day I'd like to get a self-bootstrapping system with just
> > four
> > packages:
> >
> >   uClibc
> >   BusyBox (or ToyBox)
> >   linux
> >   tcc
> >
> > I want to boot that under qemu and have it rebuild itself from source
> > code,
> > and boot _that_.
>
> Rob, do you have that as qemu image, available for download ?
> I was always looking for minimal enviroment like that, with compiler in it.

No, because currently it wouldn't work.  tcc can't build any of the other
three packages, and last I checked BusyBox hadn't got a usable shell or an
implmentation of "make".

I was working on BusyBox before Bruce Perens chased me off that project, and
now I'm working on reimplementing the entire thing from scratch (ToyBox), but
it's not a high priority.

The closest I have is Firmware Linux (http://landley.net/code/firmware), which
is a minimal environment made from seven packages:
  linux
  uClibc
  BusyBox
  bash
  make
  gcc
  binutils

That's the current minimum self-bootstrapping environment.

> sergey

Rob
  - Ken Thompson.