Re: [Tinycc-devel] Look, Is this TCC's bug?

From: Dave Dodge
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Look, Is this TCC's bug?
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 17:50:08 -0400

On Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 01:32:17PM -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
> I don't own a copy of MSVC (or a copy of Windows, for that matter), but a
> Microsoft product being broken really doesn't come as a surprise...

They definitely don't support C99.  Here's what they had to say about
it back in 2003:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/chats/transcripts/vstudio/vstudio_022703.aspx

    Q: what, if anything, from C99 will we see in the future from VC

    A: In general, we have seen little demand for many C99
    features. Some features have more demand than others, and we will
    consider them in future releases provided they are compatible with
    C++. It is more likely we'll entertain C99 features if they are
    picked up in the next version of the C++ standard.

Another thing of note is that Win64 is pretty much the only LLP64
system around (everybody else uses LP64).  Even some Windows
developers seem to have done a WTF doubletake over that decision.  MS
did this to avoid breaking the mountains of legacy code and data files
which assume long is 32 bits, which is apparently partly their own
fault thanks to a LONG typedef that they'd been supplying in their
headers.  Microsoft blogger Raymond Chen tries to explain/defend the
pragmatic reasons behind the choice here:

  http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2005/01/31/363790.aspx

                                                  -Dave Dodge