Re: [Tinycc-devel] 4 bugfixes for Rob Landley's revision 470

From: Rob Landley
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] 4 bugfixes for Rob Landley's revision 470
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 02:30:38 -0500

On Wednesday 05 September 2007 10:31:20 pm Dave Dodge wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 08:46:30PM -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
> > On Wednesday 05 September 2007 7:14:30 pm Simon 'corecode' Schubert wrote:
> > > Like the majority of internet protocols.  Actually, if you fopen()
> > > a text file with mode "rt" it does convert \r\n to \n.
> >
> > On Linux?  That's not in the man page...
>
> No, the "t" is a Windows thing.  In Standard C:

So it's not in c99, and it's not in susv3.

Microsoft can unilaterally define any "standards" it wants.  (So can I, I have
a text editor. :)  EBCDIC is a standard too.  It's generally not relevant...

> On Windows:
>
>   "rt" open for reading in text mode
>   "rb" open for reading in binary mode
>   "r"  whether you get text or binary mode depends on the current
>        setting of the global _fmode.  Note that the default value for
>        _fmode depends on how the application was linked.

My first C platform was Turbo C for dos.  I'm familiar with this.  Luckily,
it's the C library's job to ignore that one.

Rob
  - Ken Thompson.