Re: [Tinycc-devel] 4 bugfixes for Rob Landley's revision 470

From: Gregg Reynolds
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] 4 bugfixes for Rob Landley's revision 470
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 15:23:55 -0500

On 9/5/07, Simon 'corecode' Schubert <address@hidden> wrote:

> Nevertheless I wonder if it might be a nice educational experience to
> write a new tcc (or however it would be called) from scratch, using nice
> function and variable names, a sane scoping (not everything as globals)
> and broken up into multiple files.  Of course that sounds like a lot of
> work as well :)

I'm *very* interested in that and would be extremely pleased to find a
collaborator, especially somebody who knows a thing or two about this
kind of stuff.  I'm slowly working my way through the code taking
notes with vague ideas of turning them into a HACKING file or the
like.  Originally I had hoped I could quickly find a few tweaks that
would make it go on cygwin so I could cut my development time using
tcc.  Let's see, last time something like this happened was when I
decided to customize emacs - four weeks later I had forgotten what I
set out to do, but I sure learned a lot.  Now I've shaken some of the
rust off my Assembly chops, gone through the ELF, COFF, and PE
documentation, reread the dragon book, reworked TCC's makefiles, and
let's see, what was it that got me started on this?  Something about
cygwin, but along the way it occurred to me that tcc would make a
terrific pedagogical instrument with a little polishing and a lot of
documentation.  Plus I'd like to see a powerpc port.

I've started in on most of what you mentioned above.  I wouldn't want
to reimplement so much as rename and reorg to make the structure and
flow clearer.  Simple examples:  prefix globals like "file" and "ch"
with "tcc_"; use typedefs for stuff like symtype_t, reg_t, tok_t,
etc.; use "ls_" prefix for load/store operations (e.g. I think gv
means "ls_load_vtop_into_register" but I'm not sure yet.)

That sort of thing?

-gregg