Re: [Tinycc-devel] 4 bugfixes for Rob Landley's revision 470

From: Rob Landley
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] 4 bugfixes for Rob Landley's revision 470
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 17:32:56 -0500

On Thursday 06 September 2007 3:23:55 pm Gregg Reynolds wrote:
> along the way it occurred to me that tcc would make a
> terrific pedagogical instrument with a little polishing and a lot of
> documentation.  Plus I'd like to see a powerpc port.

I'm all for polishing, and I'd love to see a powerpc port too.

If people want to go off and write another compiler, feel free.  It seems to
be a popular activity:

  http://www.tendra.org
  http://www.cs.princeton.edu/software/lcc/
  http://www.openwatcom.org
  http://sdcc.sourceforge.net/
  http://www.open64.net/
  http://www.otm.uiuc.edu/techs/techdetail.asp?id=4
  http://www.bdsoft.com/resources/bdsc.html
  http://www.desmet-c.com/
  http://anyc.sourceforge.net/
  http://www.softintegration.com/
  http://root.cern.ch/twiki/bin/view/ROOT/CINT
  http://www.members.tripod.com/~ladsoft/cc386.htm

Personally, I'd rather work on tcc...

> I've started in on most of what you mentioned above.  I wouldn't want
> to reimplement so much as rename and reorg to make the structure and
> flow clearer.

Same here. :)

> Simple examples:  prefix globals like "file" and "ch"
> with "tcc_"; use typedefs for stuff like symtype_t, reg_t, tok_t,
> etc.; use "ls_" prefix for load/store operations (e.g. I think gv
> means "ls_load_vtop_into_register" but I'm not sure yet.)
>
> That sort of thing?

Patches welcome. :)

Right now I'm trying to get it to build software I have lying around.  I'm all
for cleanups but before I personally do too much more of them I want to
become way more familiar with the code first.  I can't clean it up if I don't
now how it works...

Rob
  - Ken Thompson.