Re: [Tinycc-devel] 4 bugfixes for Rob Landley's revision 470

From: Rob Landley
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] 4 bugfixes for Rob Landley's revision 470
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 19:32:54 -0500

On Thursday 06 September 2007 5:32:49 pm Gregg Reynolds wrote:
> On 9/6/07, Basile STARYNKEVITCH <address@hidden> wrote:
> > If you consider starting TCC from scratch you might look into other
> > small open source compilers like http://sourceforge.net/projects/nwcc/
>
> Good Lord, it never ends.  Just what I need, another interesting
> little project to lead me down yet another path!  (...must resist,
> must resist...)
>
> Seriously, it would be worth taking a look at such projects.  I've
> looked at a few before (briefly).  But the main thing the draws me to
> tcc is speed.

It's partly speed, and partly that it's -> <- this close to working on all the
code I can throw at it.

(I also like the fact it's self-contained and doesn't need other projects
installed to provide linkers or preprocessors...)

> If it's X times faster than gcc, that adds up to
> enormous savings in the development cycle.  If we can study it and
> describe it structurally, so we can categorize it in terms of abstract
> implementation design choices, so much the better.  Now, if one of
> those other projects competes with tcc for speed,

And features, and simplicity of implementation so we can understand what it's
doing.

> well, you'd have to
> look at it seriously to see how, at least.  But rewriting from scratch
> is too much for me, at the moment anyway.  I earnestly hope that I can
> get tcc running on cygwin in the near future, after which I'll want to
> use it, but probably not develop it - too many other irons in the
> fire.

Tell me about it. :)

Goes off to mess with other irons...

Rob