Re: [Tinycc-devel] Local procedures

From: Peter Lund
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Local procedures
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 21:25:53 +0200

On Tue, 2007-09-11 at 22:14 +0300, Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 11, 2007 at 09:11:14PM +0200, Peter Lund wrote:
> > The only really funky thing about is the trampoline technique used to
> > make them work with function pointers.
>
> You only need the trampoline if you cannot make the function pointer fat
> (ie. if you need to be binary compatible with vanilla C compilers).

Fine, let me rephrase that as "The only really funky thing about nested
procedures is the problem of mixing them with function pointers."

The trampoline technique is one solution.  Fat pointers (i.e. passing
extra parameter(s)) is another.  Monomorphization is yet another.

All are fine as long as they don't "escape" and have to interface with
other compilers ;)

> Which, of course, describes tcc's situation fairly well.

Yep.  It is a nice solution to the problem.

(But not something on the Top-100 list of important tcc things to work
on...)

-Peter