Re: [Tinycc-devel] Segmentation fault compiling jslong.c

From: Dave Dodge
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Segmentation fault compiling jslong.c
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 03:44:25 -0400

On Wed, Sep 26, 2007 at 12:11:58AM -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
> I realize that they want to restrict their relevance as much as
> possible, and thus have no _official_ version freely available on
> the web.

I think part of the problem is that selling copies of standards has
long been a basic part of how groups like ANSI and ISO fund their
operations.

> I seriously hope that whatever the next version of the C standard is
> has nothing to do with people who fail to get it that spectacularly.

Some improvements have been made, slowly.  C89 eventually became
indirectly available in hardcopy for about $40 (as part of Schildt's
book).  Corrigenda and Rationales are usually free.  ANSI sold a
downloadable PDF of C99 for $18 at one point, though the current price
on their webstore appears to be an old-school $289, ugh.  IEEE has the
POSIX/Unix spec online and downloadable at no cost.  I think even ISO
has seen the light a little bit; I recall the ffmpeg folks found a way
to download some of the MPEG standards legitimately for free (granted
this did nothing to solve the patent-licensing issues for those
particular standards).

n1124 is the best current "free" reference for implementing C99, as it
includes the final C99 text plus the 2001 and 2004 corrigenda.

  http://www.open-std.org/JTC1/SC22/WG14/www/standards

                                                  -Dave Dodge