Re: [Tinycc-devel] Re: Attempt to create a host on ShareSource failed

From: KHMan
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Re: Attempt to create a host on ShareSource failed
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 11:49:34 +0800

Marc Andre Tanner wrote:
> Piotr Skamruk wrote:
>> * KHMan, (address@hidden) napisaƂ:
>>> [...]
>>> He's moving to GPL, and it's now tinycc.
>> AIR he can't do that with only Fabricios permition.
>> to do that he should have permission from anyone who ever add some patch
>> to tcc, accepted in mainline, from he started.
>
> No LGPL $3 says:
> [snip]
>
> but of course IANAL. I asked him off list for the reason behind the
> license change, he basically doesn't want that his code could end up
> under GPLv3. I personally don't care which license is used but i think
> whoever wrote most of the code should decide the license and even if
> it's legal to change the license it's not particularly nice (see the
> whole BSD/Linux Wireless driver ath5k issue).

I concur. The freedoms spelled out in most, or all, FLOSS
licenses, bears the risk of forking, and forking can be good or it
can be bad. Personally, I would respect the intentions of the main
owner(s).

In any case, let us focus our energies instead on the LGPL tcc.
Please try it and contribute what you can. We are in need of
testers and maintainers. I for one hope interested developers are
kept focused on a LGPL hg/cvs tree rather than on a GPL tree.

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)