Re: [Tinycc-devel] .hgtags in .hgignore?

From: Dave Dodge
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] .hgtags in .hgignore?
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 20:52:08 -0500

On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 09:12:37AM +0800, KHMan wrote:
> Joshua Phillips wrote:
> > I've just noticed that .hgtags is in the .hgignore list -
> > this doesn't seem right!
>
> I've no idea whether it's right or wrong;

I don't think it's a problem.  I just looked at a project of my own
and I've got .hgtags in there as well.  It appears to be an artifact
of converting an existing repository to hg by using "tailor".  Tailor
generates .hgignore automatically in revision 0 and uses that
particular style of matching expression within.  My project's revision
0 .hgignore looks just like tinycc's except it ignores .svn instead of
CVS.

Note that despite being in .hgignore, the .hgtags file _is_ under
revision control, as can be seen by doing "hg log .hgtags".  Assuming
you use "hg tag" to add tags, they'll get committed immediately and
the fact that "hg status" ignores the file is a non-issue.

                                                  -Dave Dodge