[Tinycc-devel] TCC as portable module compiler

From: Kenneth Forsbäck
Subject: [Tinycc-devel] TCC as portable module compiler
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 21:54:54 +0200

I am currently working on a game written in C and aimed primarily at the
Linux and Windows platforms.

I have been designing a generic module (plugin) system for my game, and
focused on making it scripted - or partially scripted - however, it
turned out to be too inefficient and difficult to implement. Intepreted
code is no longer an option.

Therefor I have decided to use TCC as a module compiler, which would be
packaged along with the game.

Modules for my game would usually be quite small, but being generic it
also allows the user to implement entire conversions, which could result
in quite a large module. Regarding the small modules I have no doubts,
however, would there be any significant difference in performance
between TCC and GCC (or any other major compiler, e.g. BCC, LCC)
generated object code for larger modules? Do I have anything to worry
about, or am I just being silly?

I am not that well versed in the interals of TCC and how well it fares
against competing software, TCC is my favourite compiler due to its
compact and minimal design, no clutter, no mess...as opposed to GCC. I
would rather use TCC over the GNU GCC mess anytime. Bring it on!

TCC would make it very easy, even for less experienced programmers, to
write efficient, yet portable modules for my game, and without all the
hassle of GCC tools. TCC is mainly an Intel-based compiler, however, I
doubt there is any significant portion of gaming rigs running on
non-Intel architecture, so currently this is not a problem. There are
already two other targets for TCC (ARM and PPC?), so I am sure
additional targets would be possible in the future.

~ Kenneth Forsbäck