Re: [Tinycc-devel] Using TinyCC with GPL

From: KHMan
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Using TinyCC with GPL
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 02:16:34 +0800

Rob Landley wrote:
> On Sunday 15 June 2008 22:36:48 KHMan wrote:
> [snip]
>> I'm thinking of using Tiny CC to include C as a scripting language for a
>> software I'm currently working on. But I'm not a licence expert, so I
>> got in licence consideration. Using TinyCC as a scripting lanquage will
>> most probably use of the <tcclib.h>. I mean the script code uses the
>> <tcclib.h>. As TinyCC is GPL, should the created scripts become GPL also ?
>
> I just checked it in the repository and tcclib.h is the one you #include from
> the script to avoid needing stdio.h and friends.  libtcc.h is the one you
> #include to use the code generator.  (Just triple-checked to be sure, because
> I honestly can't keep 'em straight.)
>
> Either way, if he's linking gpl code into his app, obviously the gpl applies.
>
> If he's just calling a gpl executable, it doesn't affect his script any more
> than using bash (GPL) to run a shell script would make the shell script GPL.

There is no disagreement on all of the above.

It's a problem of interpretation. It really depends on how one
interprets "using Tiny CC to include C as a scripting language for
a software". If it's embedded as an integral part of the software,
which I guess Ivo and I assumed from the beginning, then the OP
will have a choice of LGPL or GPL, depending on his software's
license.

When GPL Tiny CC was mentioned, I read the posting as helpful
information in that it gives the OP choice. The GPL Tiny CC might
be better developed and the OP might prefer it if the application
is GPL-compatible. Since we don't know the license of the OP's
software, about the only thing we can do is to present the two
choices to him along with the license information. It's reasonable
to tell someone that there is a possibly better version of Tiny
CC, which may fit the OP's needs if the OP software's license is
compatible -- in fact, it's a vote of confidence for GPL Tiny CC.

I'm sure there was no intention to engage in FUD. Since I believe
embedding was assumed when replying to the OP, the license change
for GPL Tiny CC had to be mentioned, it was unavoidable. Others on
the list saw nothing unusual. So it's a statement of fact that
needs to be presented to the OP so that he is informed and is
clear about the available choices.

Anyway, unless the OP wishes to provide clarification, we've said
just about everything that needs to be said, given the individual
assumptions we made about the nature of the work that might use
Tiny CC.

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)