Re: [Tinycc-devel] Is the CVS repository dead yet?

From: Kirill Smelkov
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Is the CVS repository dead yet?
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 21:55:57 +0300

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 10:20:28PM +0100, Marc Andre Tanner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 06:07:51PM -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
> > It's been 6 months, I thought I'd ask.
> >
> > People still occasionally email me links to a tcc git mirror (not sure
> > why),
> > and I reply that mirrors are nice, I even used to run one, but that any
> > project that still cuts its releases from a CVS repository in 2009 simply
> > isn't _interesting_.  (Which is a pity, now that the gcc developers are
> > apparently rewriting their C front end in C++.  Oh well.)
>
> I guess the CVS is unfortunately still around, but the development is mostly
> done in various git repositories on repo.or.cz. Therefore I propose to push
> the main git repository to Savannah and depreciate the CVS.

If user's voices count - I'm for git.

For me that's a pleasure to work with and convenient tool to recieve
updates and to see what's new in there.

Also, I think teaching Tinycc users to do `git clone` and `git pull` is
not much harder compared to `cvs checkout` and `cvs update`. Even those
who don't have git can always download snapshots using dedicated gitweb
links.

Of course, it's up to those who actually write the code to decide which
tool is best to use.

Thanks,
Kirill