Re: [Tinycc-devel] status of x86-64

From: grischka
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] status of x86-64
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 22:27:36 +0200

shinichiro.h wrote:
Hi,

I was improving x86-64 support these days. Now

- tcc -run should be OK.
- Shared object should be OK.
- make test2 and make test3 run correctly.

Though there should be some bugs, I removed most known bugs except for
ABI incompatibility with GCC. I will slow for a while.

Grischka, IIRC you said that you are planning to release the next
version. If you were waiting because I'm modifying mob branch
frequently, thanks for the consideration. I think my work is ready for
the next release.

Yes, thanks for all your work.  Now we can announce TCC-0.9.25
as the first TCc with x64 support, and more people will test it.

Two questions to you:
- The TOK_builtin_malloc/free handlers in tcc.c looked a bit messy.
  I'd like to suggest something different:
      http://repo.or.cz/w/tinycc.git?a=commitdiff;h=76fe1ed5
  Does this what you need?

- Also, I had a version of tcc_relocate() that crams everything into one
  buffer allocated by the caller, such that it can be run independent
  from a TCCState:
      http://repo.or.cz/w/tinycc.git?a=commitdiff;h=495dc312
  Would this would work on x64 instead of your version?

Also two questions to everyone:
- I changed some prototypes for libtcc, for tcc_relocate() and two other
      http://repo.or.cz/w/tinycc.git?a=commitdiff;h=4a3907a18
  I know, people might need to update if they use libtcc in their code.
  Does anyone think this is a bad idea (or that the changes are per se)?

- Also, should we make some subdirs now? I was thinking of
  * include (tcc stdxxx.h)
  * lib (libtcc1.c, bcheck.c, allocaX.S)
  * tests (tcctest etc.)
  It could look cleaner in the distro but less clean in the makefile(s)
  What do you think?

--- grischka