[Tinycc-devel] [Noob] Mac, Mach-O/ELF, compiling only to memory

From: Marcel Weiher
Subject: [Tinycc-devel] [Noob] Mac, Mach-O/ELF, compiling only to memory
Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 00:23:19 -0700

Hi folks,

I discovered tcc a while ago and really like the idea and the implementation, so I've been working at getting it to work on Mac OS X.

So far, I've managed to

- compile it (mostly register definitions that needed tweaking)
- get it it to run (some linker alignment flags needed to be set differently)
- and produce some ELF object files

So not very much, but it's a start. In order to side-step the ELF/ Mach-O issue for now, I've tried just jitting some code, but that appears to want to load some (ELF) libraries and thus fails, so I haven't yet been able to run some code produced by tcc. Is there a way to jit code into memory without external libraries? I can provide function pointers it may want.

I've also looked at what it would take to add Mach-O support, but the structure of the code isn't very clear to me, especially since I am not particularly familiar with ELF. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Marcel